Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Painted Pair

I am beginning to believe there may be a nesting pair of Wood Ducks along Ray Nash Bay. Much to my delight while looking our window this afternoon, I spotted this pair of the painted fowl.

I thought this description of the Wood Duck I read on a web-site was interesting......if you look at these pictures closely, you will see that the Wood Ducks are surrounded by Muscles and Clams....They seem to enjoy the salt water...

"Rarely seen on marine waters, the Wood Duck is a bird of wooded wetlands and slow-moving, tree-lined rivers, with a preference for deciduous-tree habitats. This cavity-nester requires either a natural cavity or nest box to raise its young".

This couple hung around the rest of the day, so my guess is they have eggs in a tree hollow nearby…..now, if I can only spot the nest and get some shots of their ducklings when they hatch…. Stay tuned… (you can click on each picture if you want to see them close up)...






No comments: